At a glance
- The unmatched natural and musical sound of a classical ribbon microphone combined with a discrete amplifier (no integrated circuits used),
- Powered by standard 48V phantom power, that isolates the ribbon and the gain make-up transformer from the outside world.
- Stunning realism with the feeling of “being there” and a fast and life-like transient reproduction.
- The typical large and mellow ribbon sound quality with a very smooth top end and an extended low end.
- An ultra-high SPL capability, 160 dB SPL (1% THD @ 1000Hz) and a very high sensitivity for a ribbon microphone, similar to many condenser microphones.
- Figure-8 directional pattern for wide sweet spots both in the front and in the back of the microphone.
- 50mm long ribbon made of 2 microns thick aluminium foil and an internal shock mount for the ribbon and magnet assembly.
- Selectable high pass filter and -10dB Pad.
- Removable microphone cable built with Mogami Neglex Studio Quad cable and Neutrik XLR gold-plated connectors.
- Swedish-made Lundahl 1927A transformer.
- High-end Wima film and Nichicon electrolytic audio capacitors are used in the amplifier.
- Manufactured of the finest materials for a great performance and long-term reliability.
- The R1A can be used with any standard mixer or preamp with a balanced input that can supply 48V phantom power.
- Great sound that suits most sound sources and genres.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.
The Golden Age Project R1A is a high-quality and cost-effective vintage-style ribbon microphone. It features active electronics using top-notch components, setting it apart from other microphones in its class.
With its discrete amplifier, the R1A ensures unparalleled natural and musical sound reproduction. By isolating the ribbon and gaining make-up transformer from external interference and powered by standard 48V phantom power, it delivers a stunning realism and lifelike transient response, creating an immersive "being-there" experience.
Drawing inspiration from renowned classical microphones such as the RCA 44 and 77, the R1A captures the special and natural sound that has stood the test of time in high-quality recordings for over 80 years. Furthermore, its active circuitry significantly boosts the output level, making it comparable to condenser microphones. This eliminates the need for specialised high-gain microphone preamps when recording quiet sound sources and allows for seamless use with long microphone cables, ensuring consistent sound across different preamp setups.
Typically, the input impedance of the following microphone preamp can alter the sound of passive ribbon microphones. However, the active output circuitry of the R1A acts as a buffer, shielding the ribbon and the gain make-up transformer from external influences. This guarantees maximum performance in any recording scenario, providing consistent and reliable results.
The R1A is exceptionally well-suited for capturing various sound sources, including vocals, acoustic instruments, strings, horns, orchestras, choral groups, and live sound applications. Despite its affordability, the R1A surpasses even the most stringent demands of professional users. We recommend thoroughly reading the accompanying manual for optimal results and trouble-free operation.