This Pre-Owned unit comes without original packaging
A warranty of six months will be issued with this purchase.
At a glance
- "All buttons in" British Mode switch with LED
- Frequency response: 2Hz to 160kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3)
- Dynamic range: 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode.
- Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
- DC coupled output - High quality input caps.
- Input impedance: 20K ohms
- Output impedance: < 75 ohms
- Time constants: Attack range 50uS - 50mS
- Release range: .05 sec to 3.5 seconds, normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode. Time constants are dependent on ratio.
- Metal chassis
- Dimensions: 1.75" H x 10" D x 19" W
The Empirical Labs Distressor EL8X is a single channel compressor with the British Mode recreating the aggressive sound obtained on the legendary 1176 with "All Buttons In".
The Empirical Labs Distressor EL8X is often associated with powerful compression full of character, but it can also be extremely subtle and transparent. The EL8X adds the British mode which provides a very aggressive sound by changing the knee characteristics of the compressor.
Unlike the 1176 All Buttons In mode which has a fixed ratio, the Brit Mode of the Distressor can be added to all ratios making it far more flexible that the original unit it takes inspiration from. As the attack and release time are shorter, the THD level increases and the compressor becomes more obviously distorted and less smooth.
The Distressor was designed to provide 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to simulate tape saturation and classic vintage valve compressors. A wide range of EQ curves are included in the side-chain to further extends the versatility of the Distressor while the binary stepped controls makes it extremely precise and easy to control.