500 series mic preamp designed in the UK to serve as the ultimate front-end for recording engineers. It features a unique custom preamp topology called 'Camden,' delivering exceptional performance with extremely low noise, low distortion, and consistent frequency and phase linearity across all gain settings. With a THD+N as low as 0.0002% and a frequency response of +/-0.7dB from 5Hz to 200kHz at maximum gain, it provides up to 68dB of gain while maintaining precision and natural sound. Additionally, the Camden 500 offers a creative dimension with its Mojo circuitry, replacing traditional transformers with two discrete analog saturation styles: Thump, which enhances low-frequency excitement, and Cream, blending two saturation stages for added distortion to help the source cut through a mix while maintaining a tight and full sound without using equalization.
At a glance
- 500 series mic preamp designed in the UK
- Unique custom preamp topology named 'Camden'
- Exceptional performance with low noise, low distortion, and consistent frequency and phase linearity
- THD+N as low as 0.0002%
- Frequency response of +/-0.7dB from 5Hz to 200kHz at maximum gain
- Provides up to 68dB of gain
- Mojo circuitry for added creative options
- Mojo includes two discrete analog saturation styles: Thump and Cream
- Thump enhances low-frequency excitement (20Hz to 100Hz)
- Cream blends two saturation stages for added distortion and smoothing of low-mids
- No tone-shaping through equalization, ensuring a fuller and tighter sound without smeariness.
The Cranborne Audio Camden 500 is a supremely clean, linear and transparent 500 series mic preamp with added coloured options.
The Cranborne Audio Camden 500 has been designed in the UK with the intention of being the ultimate front-end for recording engineers. It uses a unique custom preamp topology nicknamed ‘ Camden’ that delivers impressive performance from extreme low-noise and low distortion to frequency and phase linearity at all gain settings. This translates in THD+N as low as 0.0002% and a frequency response of +/-0.7dB between 5Hz to 200kHz at max gain. Phase shift is also inferior to 2 degrees between 20Hz and 20kHz. It provides up to 68dB of gain, enough to power any microphone without sacrificing any of the precision and natural sound.
For those instances where you may require colour and vibe, the Camden 500 includes a unique Mojo circuitry replacing the more traditional transformers with two discrete analogue saturation styles. Mojo consists of an array of filters and discrete second and third harmonic generators that provide the characteristics of vintage transformer and valve equipment. A choice of two voicings is provided. Thump brings low-frequency excitement, between 20Hz and 100Hz adding weight and fuller sound. Cream blends two saturation stages to bring a fair amount of distortion to help your source cut through a busy mix while smoothing out the low-mids and. On full range material, it will also add low-end and smoothing of transients. None of the tone-shaping is achieved through equalisation ensuring a fuller and tighter sound with no smeariness.