At a glance
- DC-polarized Pressure/pressure-gradient condenser microphone transducer
- Omnidirectional, subcardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8 directional patterns
- Frequency range 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity 40 mV/Pa ¤, 10 mV/Pa ‚òæ
- Equivalent noise level <18 dB SPL, A-weighted RMS ¤
- Maximum permissible sound pressure 165 dB SPL
- Overload sound level 130 dB (¤)142 dB (‚òæ) SPL
- Power supply 100-130 and 220-250 volt, 20 W
- Diameter 63 mm (100 mm wide at yoke), length 261 mm
- Weight 1.2 kg
- Power supply dimensions 335 x 152 x 92 mm, 3 kg
- Microphone connector modified Binder 691 (“large Tuchel” type) 12 contact
- Output connector 3-pin XLR
- Made in USA
The Josephson C725 is a hybrid large-diaphragm condenser microphone using a vacuum tube, solid state circuitries, and the dual-diaphragm capsule originally used in the C700 and C716 microphones.
The Josephson C725 offers five switchable directional patterns controlled by a unique selector to optimise the signal path and change sensitivity.
The head grille uses Josephson’s patented aluminium foam, which offers physical and electrical protection. The ultra-fine, highly open mesh offers protection from external contamination. This design provides minimal and randomised internal reflections, ensuring a clean and detailed pickup.
The internal circuit uses a cascade topology with a low-noise FET for the voltage gain section and a pentode vacuum tube for the current gain stage. This combination provides the benefits of low noise of the FET and the dynamic characteristics of a vacuum tube. This is followed by a custom nickel-core transformer with independent windings for output and gain control.
The C725 is powered by a PS725 power supply which can be used on 100V and 240V operations and gives control of the five direction patterns. The selector signal/dynamics characteristics offer a choice between the warmth of vacuum tube microphones and a reduced sensitivity with a more neutral tone and higher headroom.
The C725 has a 3m long large Tuchel 12-contact connector that can be extended up to 50 meters. It ships in a rugged, Pelican-fitted carrying case with a dedicated power supply, line cord and protection sleeve.