At a glance
- The largest ribbon microphone ever made, recreated for the 21st century.
- Original magnet technology using 4 x AlNiCo 600 magnets, creating a closed magnetic loop that provides a warm, smooth, and organic sound, like the original one.
- A vintage aesthetic combined with modern improvements designed with classic and modern studio needs in mind.
- Designed and 100% handbuilt in France using ecologically sustainable practices and locally sourced parts.
- Less than 1% plastic, 100% recyclable.
The Melodium 42Bn is a faithful recreation of the origins Melodium 42B ribbon microphone used between the 1940’s and 1960’s.
The Melodium 42Bn boasts one of the largest ribbon element ever made in a microphone and is powered by four superlative AlNiCo 600 magnets. It delivers the same smooth and warm sound like the original which compared favourably to popular German and American microphones of its time.
The Melodium 42Bn sees some modern updates including an improved motor and mechanical construction. It also features a custom-wound transformer that delivers higher output impedance compared with the original. The original connector has also been replaced by the classic 3-pin XLR connector. The passive filter system found on the original has also been removed as deemed unnecessary in the studio anymore.
Made by Kerwax in France, a lot of detail and passion has gone into the creation of this microphone as in the packaging with most parts locally sourced and all parts hand-crafted in France using suppliers and craftsmen who respect the environment and its people.