The 8051: analogue compression for surround mixing, with Neve 2254 compression circuitry and 33609 feedback topology, plus routing via either/both of two side chains.
At a glance
- Six transformer-balanced audio paths
- Ideal surround broadcast or mastering compressor
- Side Chain control trims
- Side Chain A/B bias control
- High and low pass filter
- Powerful smooth Neve sound
- Extensive control link capability
- The key input and LFE filter inputs are electronically balanced
- All other inputs are transformer balanced with 3.6kOhms input impedances.
- All outputs are electronically balanced post output transformers, with maximum output +26dBu into 600Ohms.
- The unit is calibrated bridging loads greater than 10kOhms
- Control Voltage I/O is provided for linking multiple units, or linking to 33609
- Equivalent input noise (20kHz band): <-78dBu
- THD+N (for 20dBu input @ 1kHz): <0.03%
- Maximum Output Level: >26dBu into 600 ohms
- Interchannel Crosstalk: <-80dB at 15kHz
- Frequency Response +/-0.5dB 20Hz to 20Hz
The Neve 8051 is an analogue compressor with six transformer balanced audio paths complemented by two side chains and a key input. Flexible side chain routing, trimming and filtering, make this a powerful and responsive tool for surround mixing.
The 8051 uses the same feedback topology as the 33609 compressors, the style of compression that has created the famous Neve Sound.
Each channel can be controlled from either Side Chain A or Side Chain B. The six signal paths can be split between the two side chains in any format required, for example with L, C, R, LS, RS on Side chain A and LFE on Side chain B, with L, C, R on Side chain A and LS, RS on Side chain B, as a pair of separate stereo compressors, etc.
Each audio channel can be routed to either or both side chains. When multiple channels are routed to the same side chain, the circuit responds to the highest signal present and resulting compression is applied equally to all channels avoiding any image shift across a surround mix. Side chains can be filtered, trimmed or processed externally.
A Key Input is provided to allow adjustable control from an external source. It can be connected in parallel with one of the inputs, for example to allow a Centre Channel to control separate compression of front and rear signals in a surround mix.
A 12dB per octave 80/100/120Hz low-pass filter can be inserted on any one channel to create a Sub-Bass or LFE channel.
The 8051 is available in Standard and Mastering stand-alone versions, it can also be fitted to Neve 88R series consoles.