At a glance
- Omnidirectional pattern
- Mild high-frequency rise to compensate for losses at medium recording distance
- Often chosen for “spaced microphone” stereo pickup and “Decca tree” arrangements
- For a very wide range of recording applications
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity: 15 mV/Pa
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 11 dB-A
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR): 23 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 83 dB-A
- Maximum sound pressure level at 0.5% THD: 130 dB-SPL
- Length: 22 mm
- Diameter: 20 mm
- Weight: 17 g
- Surface finish: matte gray (g)
The Schoeps MK2S is a diffuse field omnidirectional capsule from the Colette modular series.
The Schoeps MK2S has been conceived as a far-field microphone to capture the source from the point where the direct source is equal to the reflected source. To counteract the loss of High-frequency definition, the MK2S features a narrower sound inlet, creating a natural acoustic HF emphasis with a slight roll-off when used off-axis.
The Schoeps MK2S exhibits an extremely linear response and low noise operation and is particularly suited for the recording of orchestras and for the most demanding applications. The MK2S is extremely popular with classical recording engineers who use the Schoeps MK2S as part of a stereo A/B pair or on a Decca Tree configuration.