At a glance
- Omnidirectional pattern
- Diffuse-field capsule
- For miking distances at which the predominant sound is no longer direct
- Useful for relatively distant placement in reverberant environments – as a room microphone, for “spaced microphone” stereo pickup and in “Decca Tree” arrangements
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity: 10 mV/Pa
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 14 dB-A
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR): 26 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 80 dB-A
- Maximum sound pressure level at 0.5% THD: 134 dB-SPL
- Length: 22 mm
- Diameter: 20 mm
- Weight: 17 g
- Surface finish: matte gray (g) or nickel (ni)
The Schoeps Mk3 is a diffuse-field capsule for the Colette Series featuring an omni-directional polar pattern.
The Schoeps Mk3 has been designed to capture the source from a distance in large halls or in places with a lot of reflection. It features a substantial HF emphasis to counteract the drop of high frequencies in large rooms and halls. Placed afar, the frequency response is essentially flat delivering an incredibly focused sound.
Especially suited for the recording of orchestras in large rooms or halls, the Schoeps MK3 displays an extremely linear response and really low noise. As such, the MK3 is often used by classical recording engineers as part of a spaced pair or as part of a Decca Tree. The MK3 is also often used as an ambient room microphone.