At a glance
- Studio Vocal Microphone
- New small-diaphragm capsule architecture, with bevelled collar for controlling the polar response.
- Warm, clear sonic character with smoothly rolled-off diffuse-field response.
- Capsule head with adjustable tilt angle.
- Optimal on-axis frequency response featuring a mild high-frequency lift.
- Very smooth polar response; carefully controlled narrowing of the pattern at high frequencies.
- Diffuse-field response parallel to the 0 ° response, with a gentle roll-off at high frequencies.
- Newly designed electronics offer a very high maximum sound pressure level.
- A 33-mm bevelled collar causes the capsule’s directivity to increase steadily and smoothly at high frequencies, as in a large-diaphragm microphone.
- Meanwhile, the superior acoustic qualities of a small-diaphragm capsule like the extraordinarily smooth frequency and polar response are maintained.
- The capsule is elastically suspended internally to reduce solid-borne sound such as handling noise.
- Newly-developed bridge-type balanced output circuit.
- Maximum sound pressure level of 144 dB SPL, corresponding to an output level of 4.8 V.
- Output stage transformerless and free of coupling capacitors.
- The resulting output impedance is low and constant with frequency, while the symmetry is very high.
- Symmetrical, balanced output, the entire audio circuit is symmetrical from the output of the FET onward.
- High immunity to interference, with gapless shielding and a modern RFI filter at the output; very good electromagnetic compatibility.
The Schoeps V4 U is a studio vocal microphone using brand new small diaphragm architecture.
The Schoeps V4 U combines the uncompromising technical characteristics associated with the German manufacturer with a beautiful and timeless design inspired by Schoeps's original CM51/3 vintage microphone dating back to 1951. However, the V4 U is resolutely a modern microphone using the latest in technology as well as extensive research and development.
A brand new capsule has been developed to ensure outstanding technical performance but also to achieve Schoeps uncompromising vision of how a studio vocal microphone should sound like. After extensive research Schoeps has decided to use a small-diaphragm capsule delivering transparency of sound and homogeneity of response curves thanks to a unique bevelled ring around the membrane, increasing the effective diameter of the microphone, and controlling the polar response of the microphone.
The result is a microphone with warm yet clear sounds with a slight 2dB lift in the high mid frequencies between approximately 2k Hz and 15k Hz. The Polar pattern is very smooth and controlled helping keep the focus on the on-axis signal. Off-axis, the Schoeps exhibits a gentle rolled off diffuse-field response starting from 6 kHz.
This beautiful and unique microphone delivers outstanding performance with extremely low signal to noise ratio and very high SPL.
Schoeps V4 U Studio Vocal Microphone Technical Specifications:
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 50 Hz - 22 kHz
- Sensitivity: 16 mV/Pa
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 15 dB-A
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR): 25 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 79 dB-A
- Maximum sound pressure level at 0.5% THD: 144 dB-SPL
- Maximum output voltage: 4.8 V
- Low-cut frequency: 40 Hz
- Powering voltage: 48 V
- Current consumption: 3.3 mA
- Length: 194 mm
- Weight: 302 g
- Diameter (cylinder): 34 mm
- Width of the capsule head: 45 mm
- Head swivel degree span: +/- 20 ¬∞