ARP inspired semi modular analogue synthesizer
The Studio Electronics Boomstar range has become a firm favourite of synthesizer enthusiasts and musicians the world over, thanks to their premium build quality, sonic versatility and wide array of filter flavours available, each inspired by an iconic machine that’s been painstakingly reverse engineered.
Each Boomstar architecture is identical, they feature:
- Two highly spec’d VCO’s that feature multiple waveforms, a sub oscillator, ring mod, sync and a ridiculous wide range
- Oscillator cross-mod for weird and wonderful modulation and timbres
- Digital LFO, with 9 waveforms, MIDI clock synchronisation for rhythmic effects
- Two versatile envelopes with superb snap that can also loop to form LFO’s, they can also invert and envelope 2 can also be triggered by the LFO if desired
- Diode based noise circuit for richer harmonics
- Master overdrive for subtle saturation or sonic devastation
- Dedicated filter FM and amp AM inputs plus a dedicated direct VCO output
- And a unique filter topology which varies depending on the model, each of which has been meticulously reverse engineered and refined to give the exactly experience of the synth it seeks to emulate
The 4072 carefully replicates the instantly recognizable tone of Alan Robert Pearlmans masterpiece, the ubiquitous ARP 2600, the synth that helped craft those wonderful R2D2 noises and found its way into the whos who of the synth world, most notably Joe Zawinul, Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre and more.
The original 2600 features a filter design which was heavily (very much so) influenced by the designs of Bob Moog’s 4-pole low pass filter, which was at the time subject of a potential lawsuit between Moog and ARP. That “pre-lawsuit” filter used the time was dubbed the 4072, hence the name of this Boomstar.
The 4072 topology yields all of that buttery rich resonance and warm enveloping filter sweeps that the 2600 is so well known for. The Boomstar 4072 gets you that ARP sound, without the £7,000 entry fee
The main features of the Studio Electronics Boomstar 4072 MK2 include
Semi modular analogue synthesizer
Two wide range oscillators
A unique filter topology, inspired by an iconic machine
Exotic wooden side panels