Oberheim inspired semi modular analogue synthesizer
The Studio Electronics Boomstar range has become a firm favourite of synthesizer enthusiasts and musicians the world over, thanks to their premium build quality, sonic versatility and wide array of filter flavours available, each inspired by an iconic machine that’s been painstakingly reverse engineered.
Each Boomstar architecture is identical, they feature:
- Two highly spec’d VCO’s that feature multiple waveforms, a sub oscillator, ring mod, sync and a ridiculous wide range
- Oscillator cross-mod for weird and wonderful modulation and timbres
- Digital LFO, with 9 waveforms, MIDI clock synchronisation for rhythmic effects
- Two versatile envelopes with superb snap that can also loop to form LFO’s, they can also invert and envelope 2 can also be triggered by the LFO if desired
- Diode based noise circuit for richer harmonics
- Master overdrive for subtle saturation or sonic devastation
- Dedicated filter FM and amp AM inputs plus a dedicated direct VCO output
- And a unique filter topology which varies depending on the model, each of which has been meticulously reverse engineered and refined to give the exactly experience of the synth it seeks to emulate
The SEM as its name would suggest, is inspired Tom Oberheim’s iconic SEM filter design, a lush 12db multi mode filter with an incredibly smooth, almost woody tonality. Offering low pass, high pass and band pass modes, with a very tastefully implemented resonance circuit that new goes into self oscillation, for always useable, very musical results.
Boomstar SEM is the Oberheim tone you’re craving with the mod cons of a 21st century synthesizer, but if you’re after a real Tom Oberheim, you can always check out the SEM PRO here.
The main features of the Studio Electronics Boomstar SEM include
Semi modular analogue synthesizer
Two wide range oscillators
A unique filter topology, inspired by an iconic machine
Exotic wooden side panels