At a glance
- K87-style capsule with low-noise and high headroom
- Clean, open audio with exceptional fidelity
- An ideal workhorse condenser mic for vocals, voiceover work, and other pro studio applications
- Sturdy outer shell made of electroplated nickel and milled brass
- Modern/vintage switch reconfigures entire circuit to vintage-accurate specs with the flip of a switch
- 3 built-in polar patterns: cardioid, figure 8, and omnidirectional
- Optional RF-filter switch captures both versions of the original in a single mic
- Wide-ranging frequency response of 20Hz–20kHz
- -10dB pad and 80hZ highpass filter
- SPL: 117dB (no pad), 127dB (with pad)
- Beefy American-made transformer with 4 times the iron mass of similar 87-type models
- Custom 24k gold-sputtered dual diaphragms and backplates
- Onboard true-cardioid mod, a popular aftermarket feature that’s built right in
- Includes a custom suspension shock mount
The United Studio UT Twin87 is a dual-circuit large-diaphragm condenser microphone that delivers the sound of both classic and modern iterations of the 87-style microphone design.
The United Studio UT Twin87 perfectly captures the essence of both vintage and modern 87 microphones in one convenient microphone.
Unique Twin Circuit Topology
The United Studio UT Twin87 boasts two discrete circuit topologies that are accessed via the two-way toggle switch. Both circuits have been extensively researched and measured based on some of the best references available to deliver the most accurate recreations.
In Vintage Mode the insulated dual-backplate capsule is polarised directly by the phantom power voltages while a de-emphasis circuity and High-Z features the same components found on the original. This design is a faithful recreation of the original vintage circuit and delivers a warmer and softer sound with a pleasing rounding of transients.
The Modern Mode adds a FET oscillator circuit to help polarise the capsule at high voltage. The result is a high capsule sensitivity and a higher signal level. The result is a brighter sound with more detailed articulation and increased high-frequency response imparting more presence and up-front character.
Custom UT K87 Capsule
The UT K87 custom capsule follows the traditional K87 Style centre-terminated design and has been developed in-house. It uses precision milled brass and boasts 6-micron Japanese PET film and uses a 24k gold-sputtered membrane.
In Vintage Mode both sides of the backplate are polarised separately while in the modern mode they are connected with a raised voltage up to 63 volts.
Custom United Transformers
The Twin87 uses a custom-wound transformer with four times the metal density than any transformer found in 87-style microphones. The all-nickel transformer ensures the perfect translation of the signal passed from the capsule to the cables. This custom-made transformer has huge headroom and an open and three-dimensional sound.
Extra features for a real boutique microphone
The UT Twin87 offers the possibility of switching the output filter on or off to block RF or EM interference is required, while the cardioid mode includes a unique "true-cardioid mod" that ensures a purer cardioid pattern as well as an improved signal-to-noise ratio.
The UT Twin87 offers an exceptional performance with incredible accuracy giving engineers a reliable and flexible microphone that every studio owner can safely rely on.