Single channel replica of the iconic preamp on the AMPEX 351 Tape machine, which was instrumental in the development of rock 'n' roll and radio-ready classics.
At a glance
- Hand-built construction with 3 tubes per channel for the ultimate analogue tone.
- Selectable tape saturation adds harmonic distortion and natural compression.
- 90dB of analogue tube gain per channel
- Custom-wound, large-core CineMag USA transformers.
- 48v phantom power & polarity switch.
- Classic Warm Audio tone control that alters the input transformer impedance adding extra analogue colour.
- 80Hz high-pass filter to control unruly bass frequencies.
- 2kHz low-pass filter to focus pre-amp power and warmth on mids for added punch.
- Inputs: XLR mic, TS instrument & TRS line.
- Outputs: XLR / TRS line level
- VU meter level indication
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Aluminum faceplate, steel chassis, and vintage Bakelite-style knobs
- Internal IEC 115v/230v power inlet
The Warm Audio WA-MPX is an exact replica of the iconic preamp on the AMPEX 351 Tape machine, which was instrumental in the development of rock 'n' roll and radio-ready classics.
The Warm Audio WA-MPX is a single-channel mic preamp with a true-to-original circuit design that provides a precise replication of the original's analogue tone to add vintage warmth and colour to your sound.
During the golden age of tape recording, the original Ampex 351 became a fixture of elite recording studios. This sort of vintage tube preamp established the trademark sound in the signal chain of hit records by Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, Les Paul, and Bing Crosby. It's a sound that musicians like The Arctic Monkeys and Mark Ronson are still pursuing today.