At a glance
- Microphone and high impedance instrument inputs
- One EF86 & one 12AY7 per channel
- 4-Position Input Switch: 500 Ω & 1.8K Ω Mic, 10k Ω Line, 1.6meg Ω
- Polarity reverse switch
- 20 dB pad switch
- 100 Hz low cut filter switch
- DI on for each channel
- +48 V phantom power
- XLR mic input, line input and line output connections
- Premium input and output transformers
- Wima polypropylene capacitors in signal path
- Built in USA
- Heavy 16 gauge steel chassis
- 115 V/230 V AC mains option on rear
- Backed by lifetime warranty parts and labour, excluding tubes
The Locomotive Audio Model 86B-2 is a dual-channel tube mic/Line preamp and instrument inspired by classic 1950’s American-style tube circuitry.
The Locomotive Audio Model 86B-2 offers a vast sonic palette for engineers and producers to explore, from bright vocals and well-defined acoustics to powerful drums and natural tube warmth.
An update to their original 286A, introduced in 2014 as a modernised version of the Ampex 601 "suitcase tape recorder”, the 86B-2 boasts a pentode EF86 and dual triode 12AY7 and super Premium MuMetal transformers. It also includes separate line and mic inputs and a much higher DI input impedance.
The 86B-2 is designed to process audio with various tonal colourations. The two-knob system enables the engineer to fine-tune the type of character needed. Using this preamp, you can add tube-like warmth or drive it to create overdriven distortion, for example.
The 86B-2 is equipped with a 20dB pad, 100Hz high-pass filter, two mic input impedances, line-level mode and high impedance front panel DI on each channel.
As with other Locomotive Audio units, the 86B-2 comes with a lifetime warranty with parts and labour.