The Moog Grandmother Dark Edition is a Semi-Modular Analogue Synthesizer which boasts a collection of Moog's iconic modular circuitry with a brand new, darker design.
Grandmother follows on from it's Rainbow Coloured with its superb analogue voice architecture that's built from some of Moogs legacy 5U modular circuits that herald back to the late 1950's and are regarded to be some of Dr Bob's greatest work.
With 3 oscillators, 24db Ladder filters, a spring reverb delay, 101 style sequencer, arpeggiator, full modular signal flow and more, Grandmother is capable of delivering classic Moog tones, but it can also go into very complex, intricate and unusual sonic territory.
The modular structure nature of the Grandmother means you can very easily change and re-route the control voltages and audio signals to form new complex sounds, with a plethora patch points you have endless options for experimenting with your sound, and it also means you can integrate external analog signals from other modular formats like Eurorack, making Grandmother a great choice for a centrepiece of your modular environment.
The new Dark Edition is a visual redesign of the original "rainbow" Grandmother, the new look very closely resembles the modular systems from which the Grandmothers circuitry is drawn from, classic moog physically, classic moog visually.
On the front panel you have a total of 9 modules;
- An arpeggiator and sequencer, which it great for creating phrases and sequences giving you hands off control to enjoy turning knobs, from the Subsequent 37
- Modulation, which provides an LFO with multiple waveforms, destinations and much more
- Oscillators, two wide range, multi wave analogue oscillators derived from the Model D
- Mixer, a three channel mixer that feeds into the filter akin to the CP3
- Multiples and attenuator, a signal multiplier and attenuator
- Filter, perhaps the most important part of a Moog! The Grandmother has a 24dB transistor ladder filter which is one of the signature components of the Moog sound based on the 904
- Envelope, a simple yet very intuitive ADSR envelope with a slider for sustain amount, based on the 911
- Output module, which controls the overall volume based on the 902 VCA
- Spring reverb send amount, this single knob controls the amount of signal that feeds into the spring reverb tank, based on the Moog 905
Grand Mother is a unique addition to the Moog range, which gives a nod to their heritage but also allows for a very diverse user experience thanks to it's modular layout.