At a glance
- Utilises premium grade input and output USA CineMag transformers.
- 71db of Gain, fully discrete signal path.
- Utilises a discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp. Can be replaced with other 6-pin "2520 foot-print" opamps for varying tone/flavour.
- TONE button – Switches the input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms. Changes the tone of both the mic and HI-Z inputs.
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel. Sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag Transformers and the discrete opamp. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack.
- Mic level balanced input: XLR.
- Balanced outputs: XLR and 1/4″/TRS.
- 48 volt Phantom Power.
- Output attenuation control (after the CineMag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation.
- LED Meter gain indication.
- 20db pad.
The Warm Audio WA12-500 MkII is a 500 series single-channel mic preamp inspired by the legendary API312 mic pre and is designed to add tons of vibe to your signal.
The Warm Audio WA12-500 MkII uses a completely discrete design built around the X731 discrete op-amp, a reproduction of the Melcor 1731. A predecessor to the 2520 op-amps, the Melcor 1731 was known for its incredible warm tone. With the X731, the WA12-500 delivers the larger-than-life sound associated with some of the best mic preamps. For adventurous producers, the op-amps can be swapped with any 2520 pinout compatible op-amps offering a variety of tones.
The WA12 also uses Cinemag transformers on the input and output stages to ensure stunning performance with huge headroom.