At a glance
- Cardioid pattern
- For pickup of speech or music at close range (under 10 cm), otherwise, the sound may become “thin“
- Reduced sensitivity
- Considerable attenuation of low frequencies
- Frequency range: close pickup
- Sensitivity: 3 mV/Pa
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 19 dB-A
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR): 31 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted): 75 dB-A
- Maximum sound pressure level at 0.5% THD: 144 dB-SPL
- Length: 22 mm
- Diameter: 20 mm
- Weight: 17 g
- Surface finish: matte gray (g) or nickel (ni)
The Schoeps Mk4A is a cardioid capsule part of the Colette Series of Modular microphones and to be used with the CMC range of Preamps.
The Schoeps Mk4A is designed to compensate for the proximity effect when working at close range. As such it features a gentle bass roll-off starting at 100Hz to counteract the proximity effect of placing a microphone less than 10cm away from the source. In addition to the bass response being affected, the proximity effects can also increase the overall level. To counteract this, the Schoeps MK4A features a 10dB Pad attenuation.
The Shoeps Mk4A is meant to be used exclusively at very close range of the sound source with high SPL as it will otherwise produce a sound thin with low output level reducing considerably the signal to noise ratio.