Hugh Robjohns - Sound On Sound
At a glance
Chandler Limited TG2-500 Overview:
- 500-series mic preamp based on the EMI Abbey Road TG12428 preamp
- Same circuitry transformers and transistors as the original TG2
- Coarse and Fine Gain controls
- 60dB of Gain
- Impedance toggle switch
- Phantom Power and Phase reversal
- Same performance and frequency response
- Rich forward sounding with clear and open top end
The Chandler Limited TG2-500 is a 500-series adaptation of the Chandler TG2 mic preamp and DI itself a recreation of the legendary EMI Abbey Road TG12428 microphone preamplifer used in the late 60’s and 70’s.
The Chandler Limited TG2-500 uses the same circuitry, transformers and transistors as the original TG2 and delivers up to 60dB of Gain. Coarse and Fine Gain controls are also featured just as it did on the EMI consoles, offering a lot of flexibility when setting the gain. In addition the TG2-500 features an impedance switch letting you chose between 300 and 1200 Ohms input impedance in order to match your microphone or simply to add further colouration.
The Chandler TG2-500 delivers the same performance and the same frequency response as its sibling including the mid forward tone and high-frequency bump adding natural presence. But that’s not all, the Chandler TG2-500 also produces the same typical warmth and distortion associated with its sound.