At a glance
- 500 Series compressor inspired by classic Empirical Labs processors
- Attack settings: 200 microseconds — 50 milliseconds
- Release settings: 50 – 600 milliseconds, plus Opto-style auto release
- Ratios: 2:1. 3:1, 4:1, 6:1, 8:1, 10:1, 12:1, and 20:1
- 5Hz – 175kHz frequency response
- Dynamic range of 125dB max output (0.5% THD germanium diode soft clipping)
- Noise floor of -101dBu with Output set to 0
- Detector HP of 70Hz
- Voltage: +/- 16.5V 100mA
The Empirical Labs EL-P-V Pump is a single-channel 500 series compressor that boasts of impressive features and performance, which have come to be associated with Empirical Labs' heritage. With its lineage traceable to the legendary Distressor, Arousor, and Mike-E processors, the PUMP is set to become a must-have tool for creative audio professionals seeking uncompromised performance, quality, and value in their toolbox.
The Empirical Labs EL-P-V Pump features controls for Input Level at the top, complete with a clip (BAD) indicator. This 500 series rack mount compressor provides a selection of 8 compression ratios, ranging from 2:1 to 20:1, each with its unique curve. The compressor also boasts independent digitally-stepped knobs that precisely recall Attack and Release selections, including a soft Opto-Coupler style Release. Other PUMP features include a switchable 70Hz High Pass Filter, comprehensive Gain Reduction metering, and a Bypass selection to go dry.
One of the most remarkable features of the PUMP is its AtMod (Attack Modification) feature, which slows down the initial slope of the attack envelope to preserve more transient content and add greater overall impact to the track. AtMod was previously only available in Empirical Labs' Arousor plug-in and set the PUMP apart from other hardware compressors. Whether you require more snap on the snare track or more thump on the electric bass, AtMod lets the transients through without losing your desired compression level.