At a glance
- Front panel meter zero control
- Stereo link switch and indicator
- Wider range of Attack and Release Times
- Aggressive capability similar to the Retro Instruments 176 Limiting Amplifier
- Improved signal-to-noise ratio, better frequency response and tube character
- Uses premium-quality Cinemag input and output transformers
- Uses readily available 12AT7 and 12AU7 tubes
- Durable stainless steel chassis, hand-wired
- Gold-plated edge connector
- Power consumption: 130 milliamps
The Retro Instruments Doublewide II is an updated version of the revered Doublewide 500 series valve compressor with faster attack and releases time, advanced stereo linking capabilities and improved signal to noise ratio.
The Retro Instruments Doublewide II retains the same two-slot format of its predecessor and requires the same 130 milliamps of current. In fact, it looks very similar to the original with the same grey-painted front panel and high-quality Simpson gain-reduction meter. On the inside, Cinemag input and output transformers are included as well as 12AT7 and 12AU7 imparting the unmistakable colouration.
The Doublewide II now features some of the most requested enhancements that give this valve compressor increased flexibility and control. Possibly the most requested feature was for faster attack and release times allowing the Doublewide to deliver more aggressive compression and tone akin to their 176 Limiting Amplifier.
Additional improvements include improved signal-to-noise ratio, better frequency response and increased analogue character that pushes this classic compressor to new heights. These improvements bring life to vocals, help fatten bass guitars or even crush drum tracks with parallel compression.
Furthermore, it is now possible to pair two Doublewide II together thanks to the new stereo linking function opening up the sound of this stunning compressor to stereo sources such as Pianos, drum overheads, backing vocals and much more.