Versatile 4-channel mic preamp unit that incorporates the renowned SuperAnalogue PureDrive™ technology originally featured in the ORIGIN console. For sonic flexibility, It offers three distinct DRIVE modes (Clean, Classic Drive, and Asymmetric Drive). This rack-mounted preamp provides advanced digital connectivity, including an integrated USB sound card and a range of analogue I/O options. Each preamp has independent features like +48V phantom power, polarity inversion, and a sweepable High Pass Filter. This product showcases SSL's commitment to progressive, analogue circuit design by eliminating electro-mechanical components in the audio signal path for durability and precise channel matching. In essence, the PURE DRIVE Quad offers high-quality, versatile mic preamp capabilities, catering to the needs of professional producers and recording engineers.
At a glance
- Four-channel high-performance PureDrive™ mic preamps
- +48V phantom power, polarity invert and sweepable 3rd order hi-pass filter
- Stepped Gain control up to +65 dB Gain
- 31-step Trim control, with precise 1 dB increments – overdrive the signal with the Gain control and then reduce to a suitable level using Trim.
- Three modes for each preamp – Clean, Classic Drive and Asymmetric Drive
- Mic/Line Input Switching
- Mic via XLR
- Line via a choice of TRS Jack or dedicated D-Sub connectivity
- 4 x front panel Hi-Z/DI Instrument unbalanced inputs with automatic input detection
- Four mic preamp input impedance options – explore new tonal possibilities from your dynamic and ribbon microphones
- Balanced analogue outputs/insert sends for external processing
- +24 dBu professional line level insert returns/ADC inputs
- Analogue to digital connectivity via ADAT, AES and USB – record to your DAW in the way that best suits you
- Ability to switch ADAT and AES connections to source audio from DAW outputs (USB) instead of the A/D converter
- Cascade 2 PURE DRIVE QUAD units via convenient ADAT LINK IN connection
- USB soundcard mode
- QUAD – 12 in / 12 out (@44.1/48 kHz)
- 4 x analogue + 8 x ADAT in (via Link in) / 4 AES + 8 ADAT outs
- Stepped pots and digitally controlled analogue electronics for precision, stereo matching and ease of recall
- Up to 192 kHz and 32-bit conversion, professional I/O levels (+24 dBu = 0 dBFS).
- Selectable Auto-Sleep mode
- Auto-ranging Wordclock In and Out
The Solid State Logic Pure Drive Quad is a 4-channel mic preamp harnessing the renowned SuperAnalogue PureDrive microphone preamp technology originally featured in SSL's ORIGIN console. This exceptional device introduces a new DRIVE mode and advanced connectivity, all conveniently packaged in a 2U rackmount unit.
SSL's contemporary-classic recording console, ORIGIN, introduced the PureDrive microphone preamplifier. This innovative preamp retains the clarity and punch of previous SSL designs while offering the added versatility of switching its character to a warm, harmonically rich, and driven tone that varies with gain. ORIGIN and the PureDrive microphone preamp have made their mark in the world's premier studios. Whether it's capturing the delicate nuances of a piano concerto in PURE mode or imparting warmth on a drum recording when set to DRIVE, the PureDrive microphone preamp has become an essential tool in some of the most prestigious studios and recording facilities due to its flexibility and superb sonic signature.
Mic Pres with prestige
Pure Drive Quad continues the legacy into rack format, delivering four microphone preamps with ORIGIN’s renowned PURE and DRIVE modes. However, it takes it further, adding a new ‘Asymmetric’ DRIVE, advanced digital connectivity, and an onboard USB interface. The Pure Drive Quad offers four mic preamp input impedance options, enabling engineers to explore various tonal possibilities or closely match the mic pre's impedance to the microphone. Each mic pre includes independent +48V phantom power, polarity inversion, and a sweepable High Pass Filter. Pure Drive Quad is one of the most capable and feature-rich outboard microphone preamplifiers available, introducing a host of new sonic possibilities and workflows for the discerning producer and recording engineer.
3 Flavours, 1 Mic Pre
Pure Drive Quad is a testament to SSL's commitment to progressive analogue circuit design. No electro-mechanical components (potentiometers, mechanical switches, relays, etc.) are used in Pure Drive Quad's critical audio signal path, increasing product longevity and allowing impeccable ‘matching’ between all channels – not just a stereo pair. Using digitally controlled analogue circuits, controlled by detented pots and electronic switches, simplifies recall and precision of settings.
The SSL Pure Drive Quad’s mic pre’s can be independently switched between three distinct DRIVE modes: Clean, Classic Drive, and Asymmetric Drive.
Clean mode delivers the highly regarded, ultra-low noise floor, linear SSL preamp that is recognized for its ability to faithfully capture the sound of the source with exceptional clarity and detail.
Classic Drive is the symmetrical mode that generates predominantly odd harmonics, the same drive sound found on the ORIGIN console.
Asymmetric Drive offers a new colouration option, specifically designed for the Pure Drive range, making the even harmonic content dominant and providing more pronounced thickness, colouration, and softening of transients.
Pure Drive Quad’s advanced connectivity opens a world of recording possibilities. Its comprehensive selection of analogue and digital I/O offers microphone preamps with exceptional performance and flexibility, whether you're tracking a band in a world-class studio or adding warmth to stems in a production scenario. Thanks to its integrated USB sound card, it's also ideal for project studios and on-location sessions where quality cannot be compromised.
Pure Drive Quad features four rear-mounted combo XLR inputs, four front-panel Hi-Z/DI instrument inputs with automatic input detection, and three sets of D-sub connectors for line-level inputs and insert send and insert return. Pure Drive Quad’s insert returns/ADC inputs operate up to the whole +24 dBu line level for interfacing with other professional equipment.
Solid State Logic's Pure Drive Quad’s versatile digital connectivity features an integrated USB sound card providing four audio channels into your DAW up to 32-bit/192 kHz. Two AES/EBU output pairs and ADAT out, offering four channels at 24-bit/48 kHz, or cascade two Pure Drive Quad units via its convenient ADAT LINK IN connection and access up to eight channels. The AES and ADAT outputs can even be individually repurposed to be fed from the onboard USB sound card as outputs from your DAW. Finally, there's an auto-ranging word clock input and output for robust digital clocking.