At a glance
- Uniquely versatile recording and processing
- Ultra clean SSL SuperAnalogue grade preamp
- Switchable VHD system adds controllable 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion
- Switchable LF Filter (15Hz to 500Hz)
- Hi-Z switch for high impedance microphone use
- +48V Phantom Power with status LED
- PAD for use with line level source material
- Phase invert switch
The SSL VHD+ brings the versatile mic preamp found on Solid State Logic’s duality and AWS consoles to the 500 series format.
The SSL VHD Pre delivers the ultra-clean sound of SSL SuperAnalogue mic pres but adds a switchable VHD mode which adds rich analogue harmonic distortion for a much edgier sound. As you increase the gain on the preamp the Variable Harmonic Distortion adds 2nd or 3rd order harmonic distortion or a blend of the two to add subtle valve colouration or the more aggressive transistor edge.
The SSL VHD for 500-series is extremely simple to use. It features three rotary controls called Drive, Trim and a +20/+75dB gain control. The Drive control lets you add the amount of 2nd or 3rd order harmonics when the VHD In switch is activated. The +20/+75dB control lets you set the input level while the Trim adjusts the output level from -20dB to +20dB.
In addition the VHD mic preamp features a switchable high-pass filter with a continuously variable frequency knob ranging from 15Hz to 500Hz, a Hi-Z impedance switch for microphone impedance matching, 48V phantom power and a phase polarity switch. A Pad button also allows the mic pre to be used at line level.