" ...a personal thing that I’m most proud of is probably the Earlybird 2.2." Vic Keary
The Thermionic Culture Earlybird 2.2 is a two channel all valve pre-amp with EQ, employing a balanced push-pull circuit, which is unique in this application.
The use of this type of circuit gives very low noise and plenty of headroom with minimal distortion. These factors coupled with a switchable input impedance will mean the user can get a very natural interpretation of whatever sound the microphone is picking up, whether the mic is valve, ribbon, moving coil or FET.
The Earlybird 2.2 retains all of the features of the previous Earlybirds but has an added extra pair of inputs to allow permanent connection to a Pullet EQ. In addition the active EQ section now has switchable frequencies on the mid and bass lift sections.
The Gain controls have now been simplified and incorporated into a Function switch. After much dedicated development work in conjunction with Brian Sowter, Thermionic Culture beleive they have arrived at the pinnacle of audio transformer design. Both the input and output transformers have been optimised for use in their unique circuit. This results in more headroom and lower distortion especially at low frequencies.
The line input facility means that the sonic characteristics and EQ facilities of the Earlybird 2.2 can be fully utilised on any mono or stereo signals that the user feels may benefit from such enhancement. With this in mind the Pullet acts as a perfect companion for precision mid range EQ.
Thermionic Culture Earlybird 2.2 Features:
- 2 Channels of extremely high quality push pull' 'class A' type of valve pre amplification
- 3 bands of active lift EQ with 2 mid range frequencies and switchable high pass filters
- Clean gain, giving extremely low noise and distortion figures
- Essential mic-preamp settings such as gain, impedance, 48v power and phase are all catered for by the front panel controls
- Can be optimised for use with a large variety of mics, signal levels and different uses whilst remaining in an equipment rack
- Function switch will allow the unit to take it's input from, mic. in, line, or the Pullet sockets
- Massive clean output, but can be trimmed by output level controls, some colouration can be obtained if desired
- Hand Made in UK